Mediterranean Soup with Black Olive Tapenade
- Slice the pepper, aubergine and courgettes into large pieces. Brush with the oil and sprinkle with a little salt and pepper.
- Grill the vegetables under a medium grill for about 20 minutes, turning once.
- Place the tinned plum tomatoes in a large saucepan. Roughly chop them and add the (raw) onions and 4 1/2 crushed garlic cloves.
- Stir in the crushed chilli, chopped basil (reserve some to garnish) and salt/pepper to taste. Allow to simmer gently.
- Remove the vegetables from the grill and when cool, chop into smaller pieces. Add to the tomato and cook for a further 40 minutes
- Meanwhile blend the olives, capers and remaining half clove of garlic. Spoon into small dishes to serve.
- At the end of the cooking time, roughly blend the tomato and vegetable mixture. Add boiling water if you prefer a smoother soup.
- Serve with warm crusty bread fresh from the oven and an extra grinding of black pepper.
Cooking Temperature: Medium/High
Cooking Time: 60 Minutes
Keeps For: 5 days, refrigerated
Tips and Comments
- You can peel the vegetables after grilling if you like to (I don't bother personally but some people prefer it).
- A sprinkling of sugar after the onions have cooked will help reduce the acidity of the tomatoes if required.
- A dash of balsamic vinegar towards the end of cooking will give it a more intense flavour.
- Adding water during blending will make it smoother and spread the portion sizes over more people... I like it thick and chunky though!