- Blend the powdered egg replacer and pectin together before adding to the cold water in mixing bowl.
- Whisk the powders into the water until it begins to foam
- Add the vanilla essence and sugars 1 spoonful at a time, whisking until the foam increases in volume and becomes stiff
- Spoon the foam onto a lined baking tray and bake at a low temperature for 90 minutes
- At the end of the cooking time, leave the meringues in the oven (door closed) until cool to let them dry out further
- Serve 'sandwiched' with ice cream or thick yoghurt and topped with fresh fruits, chocolate sauce and a sprinkle of cocoa powder
Cooking Temperature: 130 degrees
Cooking Time: 120 minutes
Serves: 10 (20 small meringues)
Keeps For: 7 days (airtight)
Tips and Comments
- See Not-Eggs for details of egg replacer powder
- These are great to make in advance but only 'assemble' them when you are ready to serve or they go soggy!
- I especially like coconut yoghurt with these, though ice cream (see Not-Dairy), fresh berries and frozen banana all work well too.
- When I first made this, I used a hand whisk. I'd recommend treating yourself to an electric one. Unless you like blisters.