- Remove the berries from the bunches and thoroughly wash them
- Add to a pan with the water and bring to the boil; cover and gently simmer for at least 2 hours
- Roughly mash the berries when soft and add the all spice and rosemary before continuing to simmer
- Allow to cool and strain through a jelly bag or muslin cloth over night
- Discard the berry pulp and re heat the liquid, stirring in the sugar until dissolved
- Follow the instructions on your agar agar powder to make a jelly with the cooled liquid
- Refrigerate when set and serve with Not-Cheese as a savoury option or seasonal fruits
Cooking Temperature: Medium Hob
Cooking Time: 3 Hours
Serves: about 60 tbsps
Keeps For: 5 days (refrigerated)
Tips and Comments
- Rowan berries should always be cooked before eating!
- Freezing them before cooking helps break down some of the acids which cause the bitter taste if you want a milder flavour.
- Agar agar is a powder made from seaweed and can be purchased from Asian supermarkets and health food shops.