Sauerkraut with Sausage and Roasties
For the Sauerkraut:
- Chop up the cabbage and onion
- Melt the soya marge in the slow cooker (whack it on high to start with just to melt it down)
- Mix the sugar, salt, soy sauce, hot water and vinegar in a jug
- Stir the veg into the melted marge and then when it is well coated, pour on the liquid
- Pop the lid on and cook on low (unless you have it on a timer for a later serving in which case it can cool before coming back on later)
For the Meal: (start this off an hour or so before the Sauerkraut is ready)
- Peel and chop the potato to the size you'd expect a roast spud to be. (Do something similar with the carrot and set aside)
- Boil the potato vigarously for about 10 minutes (the aim is not to cook it all the way through but get the outside started)
- Drain the spuds and with the lid held on tight, give the saucepan a good shake so the outer layer of potato goes 'fluffy'
- Stir in the soya marge and transfer to a greased baking tin (adding a sprinkle of sea salt and dried rosemary at this point is tasty)
- Cook in the oven for 45 minutes then add the carrots and slices of sausage to the spuds.
- Cook for a further 15 minutes and serve with the flat leaf parsley and gravy.
Slow Cooker Temperature: Low
Oven Temperature: 200 degrees
Slow Cooking Time: 4-6 hours
Roasting Time: 1 hour
Keeps For: Sauerkraut up to 3 days