Ginger and Rhubarb Tart
- Grease 4 small (or one medium) flan tin(s)
- Roll out the Pepparkakor dough and line the tins, pricking the bases with a sharp knife to prevent bubbling
- Bake the pastry cases for 6 minutes then cool
- Chop 175g of rhubarb and place in a covered saucepan with 1 tbsp of ginger and 60g of sugar; heat gently until stewed then cool
- Mix the wholemeal and white self raising flours, baking powder, lemon zest and remaining ginger
- Blend the oil, soya milk, vanilla essence, cider vinegar and water and fold into the dry ingredients
- Spoon the stewed rhubarb into the pastry cases and top with the sponge mix
- Slice the remaining rhubarb and arrange on top; brush with a little soya milk and bake for 20 minutes
- Serve hot from the oven with dairy free ice cream or custard
Cooking Temperature: 180 degrees
Cooking Time: 26 Minutes
Keeps For: 5 days
Tips and Comments
- See Not-Dairy for details of soya marge, milk and dairy-free ice cream.
- These quantities can be spread across four mini tarts if using individual dishes or can be used in one medium flan tin.
- Would also work well with pears or apples if rhubarb is out of season!