Strawberry Citrus Cupcakes
- Mix the flour, baking powder, lemon zest and salt and set aside
- Slightly soften the soya marge and blend with the sugar, cider vinegar, soya milk, vanilla essence and 1 tsp of lemon juice.
- Gradually add in the dry ingredients (saving a tbsp of lemon zest for decoration)
- Evenly distribute half the cake mixture between 6 muffin cases
- Gently spoon a 'dollop' of strawberry jam in to each cake and top with equal amounts of the remaining cake mix
- Cook at 175 degrees for 20 minutes or until a skewer comes out of the middle clean
- Allow to cool before decorating
- Beat the icing sugar and soya marge together and stir in the vanilla essence, 1 tsp lemon juice and food colouring; refrigerate
- Carefully spread lemon curd evenly over each cake
- Whisk the remaining strawberry jam into the butter-cream icing
- Using a piping bag or spatula, spread the strawberry icing over the lemon layer, sprinkle with zest and top with a strawberry
Cooking Temperature: 175 degrees
Cooking Time: 20 Minutes
Keeps For: 3 days
Tips and Comments
- See Not-Dairy for details of soya marge and milk
- If your butter-cream separates it's just at the wrong temperature; try chilling it (or warming it up!) and whisking it again.
- These were invented to use up leftover icing, jam and lemon curd before I went away but are so good I'd make them deliberately now!