Spiced Hot Chocolate
- Combine a small amount of the milk with the cocoa and mix to a smooth paste
- Add the flavourings, sugar and grated dark chocolate to the remaining milk and heat gently
- Slowly pour the warm milk onto the cocoa paste, stirring all the time to avoid lumping
- Return to the pan and heat through gently, without boiling
- Pour into slightly warm glasses, top with a generous spoonful of whipped cream and a dusting of cocoa or cinnamon
Cooking Temperature: Medium Hob
Cooking Time: 10 Minutes
Keeps For: 3 days (chill and stir well before re heating)
Tips and Comments
- I like almond milk but any non dairy 'drink' will work well... Rice, soya, coconut, etc.
- See Not-Dairy for info on milk and whipping cream alternatives.
- Add fresh orange zest for a bit of zing or take out the chilli and add a drop of peppermint essence for an alternative variation.
- Add black coffee before the cream for a mocha version (avoid curdling by keeping the temperatures of coffee and milk similar).