Joanne Harris suggests a chocolate infused recipe for her nougat in The Little Book of Chocolat (no surprise there) but following various musings with friends on how to recreate certain 'high street chocolate bars' and since I was ad libbing to create an egg free version anyway, I thought I'd have a bash at this creation, using flaked nuts and caramel under a chocolate topping. It would certainly be easy enough to add either cocoa powder or melted chocolate (instead of a bit of syrup perhaps) at the blending stage!
To be totally honest, it's so long since I had nougat I'm not sure how close this egg free version is to the 'real thing' but it's a tasty experiment anyway and packed with healthy fats and energy!
In fact, it's practically a health food! Honest!
- Blend the ground almonds, protein powder, 40g of syrup, a pinch of salt and 1 tsp of vanilla essence with just enough water to mix
- Press the almond paste into the bottom of a square dish, lined with cling film and set aside
- Melt the sugar and remaining golden syrup together with the soya cream in a pan over a low heat until smooth
- Melt in the marge and remaining vanilla essence, bringing to the boil while stirring continuously
- Remove from the heat when the mixture forms a soft ball if dropped into cold water and spread evenly over the 'nougat'
- Scatter the flaked almonds, cacao nibs and more salt if liked over the caramel layer, pressing lightly into the surface
- Slice the slab into the required shapes and size
- Place a bowl onto a saucepan of hot (not boiling) water and melt the chocolate, taking care not to over heat
- Carefully spoon the melted chocolate onto each piece before allowing to cool at room temperature
Cooking Temperature: Very Low Hob
Cooking Time: 5 Minutes
Serves: 20 - 40 small pieces
Keeps For: 7 days
Tips and Comments
- This suggestion is a semi 'Snickers' inspired attempt with almonds instead of peanuts but you could try all kinds of nuts and dried fruit.
- See Not-Dairy for info on marge and cream alternatives.