- Add a little cold water to the flour and stir to make a paste.
- Continue adding the water until the full pint is blended into the flour
- Bring to the boil over a medium to high heat, stirring continuously
- Cook for a further 5 minutes, stirring continuously
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool while you juice the lemons
- Prepare a sieve (over a large mixing bowl) lined with a piece of wet cheesecloth or muslin
- Stir the lemon juice into the flour mixture and pour the liquid into the muslin
- Leave to drain and firm up. This can be left overnight ideally but at least 2-3 hours (add any flavourings mid-way through this process)
- Squeeze any remaining liquid from the not-cheese for the firmest possible consistency
Cooking Temperature: Medium
Cooking Time: 10 mins (plus draining)
Keeps For: 1 week, covered and refrigerated
Tips and Comments
- Makes a good Not-Cheesecake filling if slightly sweetened with a little icing sugar!
- Can be made with various flavourings including pretty much any herb you fancy; experiment!
- Nutritional Yeast is a particularly good addition; this stuff looks like fish food flakes and could have a more appetising name but is an excellent source of B vitamins amongst other nutrients and adds a cheesy, nutty, savoury flavour. See Not-Dairy for more.
- Soya flour can be bought in larger supermarkets and health food shops.
- If you're desperate, a piece cut from an old pair of (clean!) tights will just about do instead of muslin to drain the mixture.