Strawberry Icefu with Frozen Fruit Skewers
For the Icefu:
- Blend the tofu and sugar until creamy
- Chop the strawberries and stir into the tofu mixture with the strawberry jam
- Place in a suitable container and freeze
- When ice crystals have started to form (1 - 2 hours depending on your freezer) blend the mixture again
- Repeat the freezing/blending process until the mixture is frozen but thick and creamy (3 times minimum seems to be about right)
- Remove from the freezer about 20 minutes before serving (depending on how soft you like it)
For the Frozen Fruit Skewers:
- Chop the fruits in to bite sized chunks
- Thread the pieces on to skewers before wrapping individually in clingfilm and placing in the freezer
- Remove from the freezer about 10 minutes before serving
Prep Time: About 40 minutes total
Keeps For: Icefu: as long as you can resist, Fruit Skewers: about 3 months
Tips and Comments
I invented a rudimentary version of this dessert in the summer of 2013 while spending time in Japan and China; very hot, very humid but abundant in tofu even if the concept of 'animal free' perplexes most people. On returning to the UK I amended it for additional indulgence!
- See Not-Eggs for info on silken tofu and Not-Dairy for info on soya yoghurt
- Use bamboo skewers if possible. It's nice to have reusable metal ones but they are a bit too cold on the fingers when frozen, I find.
- If you prefer chunky fruit in your 'not' ice cream, don't chop the strawberries as they get further mashed up in the blending process.
- Serve with a drizzle of soya yoghurt or cream for extra indulgence!